I use LinkedIn every day. I like the way they’ve created their ad campaign creation wizard. Easy and straightforward. Here’s a tutorial about starting your first advertising campaign on LinkedIn.
Step 1: Name and Ad Creation
You can create up to 15 ad variations to test which image and text performs best.
Ad campaign creation tips:
- For best results, your Destination URL should be specific to the product or service that you’re advertising, as opposed to your homepage.
- An image can help your Ad draw more interest among your target audience. Ads with images get up to 20% more clicks.
- Find what resonates best with your audience by testing multiple variations of your Ad campaign – try different images or headlines.
- Want to draw more attention to your Ad? Try making your headline into a question.
- Keep it relevant. Make sure your ad destination makes sense with your ad copy.
Step 2: Targeting
You can target by job title and function, by industry and company size, by seniority and age, and by LinkedIn Groups.
LinkedIn audience targeting tips:
- Having at least 2 targeting criteria will help your ad reach the right audience.
- Avoid going too narrow – a good rule of thumb is an audience size over 100,000 members.
- Try testing a campaign just for Groups. Target as many groups as possible with a common theme and highlight your theme in the ad copy.
- Ensure you reach your right audience by targeting on Job Function and Seniority.
- You can also reach LinkedIn members on other websites through the LinkedIn Audience Network – a collection of partner websites that display LinkedIn Ads on their pages.
Step 3: Budget and Lead Collection Options
With LinkedIn, you can pay by clicks or impressions (stop your ads at any time).
LinkedIn Ads budget and lead generations set-up tips:
- To ensure that you receive impressions, make sure your bid is within or above a suggested bid range.
- LinkedIn encourages you to bid on a CPC basis so you only have to pay when a user clicks on your ad.
- LinkedIn recommends using the ‘optimized’ rotation strategy (default option). It will make sure that you’re always showing the creative that is performing the best.
- On this step you can opt-in for Lead Collection – the free LinkedIn Lead Collection bar will allow visitors to easily request contact from you:
1. Collect – people who click on your ads will see a lead collection bar above your website that prompts them to request contact.
2. Review – you will be notified by email when you receive a lead, and you can review the LinkedIn profile.
3. Respond – reach out with personalized messages directly from LinkedIn or by email, if the person has made it available.
On this step click Next and you’re all set with your ad campaign creation. Congratulations!
To start all you need is a LinkedIn account: linkedin.com/ads. By the way, it’s now possible to separate your advertising account from your personal account and invite multiple people to manage your ads – you need to use a business account.
From the 30-minute Getting Started with LinkedIn Ads webcast, you can also learn:
- What makes LinkedIn Ads unique
- How to create your 1st ad campaign
- Best practices on ad creative, targeting, and tracking
LinkedIn Marketing Solutions: marketing.linkedin.com – tailor your content to specific audiences with Targeted Status Updates.
If you have any questions, run a search at LinkedIn Ads FAQ. Good luck!